Volunteer in Kenya
About the program in Kenya
In Kenya we have 5 Volunteering Programs available including teaching English at a school, work at a kindergarten, medical or construction projecrs. You also have the option to start with the Culture Week. You can combine different projects easily with us without any extra costs. You can join from a short term 1 week program up to 4 weeks.
Kenya Program Summary
Location: Gatanga VIllage in Narirobi area in Kenya
Arrival: International airport in Nairobi NBO (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport) on Sunday from 8:00 until 18:00.
Start Dates 2019 : 7 January, 21 January, 4 February, 18 February, 4 March, 18 March, 1 April, 15 April, 6 May, 20 May, 3 June, 17 June, 1 July, 8 July, 15 July, 22 July, 5 August, 19 August, 2 September, 16 September, 7 October, 21 October, 4 November, 18 November, 2 December, 16 December
Age: Join from 18 years old
Why Join with GapXperience ?
- Experienced and Trusted Organization – Established over 14 years ago, we have grown to become one of the world’s leaders for Gap Year & Volunteer Abroad Programs with over 200 programs in over 30 countries around the world, having placed thousands of participants abroad.
- Most Affordable Prices – our fees are the some of the most affordable for quality volunteer travel that you will find with just one low fixed fee without additional registration or application fees.
- Responsible Projects – Our volunteer projects abroad are run responsibly and have a positive impact on local needs of the local people.
- Great Support – Before you go and throughout your stay, you will have the support and guidance of our team and the local coordinators who will provide you with assistance. Checkout our reviews to see the wonderful feedback we have received from our participants.
- Make Friends – Meet up with the friendly locals and like-minded travelers during your program abroad and make life-long friends during your trip.
- Explore on Weekends – You have the weekends free to explore the local area and travel around and create some great travel experiences.
- Self Development – We see volunteering as an essential part of personal and career development, playing a key role in building on life and work related skills.
Gatanga Village will be your new home and will give you the chance to see authentic rural Kenya. Close by is Thika, an industrial town where you will be able to find anything you need. Nairobi is not too far either, and you can head there during the weekend for nights out or sightseeing. Likewise, there are many natural areas in close proximity to Gatanga, a simple example are Fourteen Falls, a set of waterfalls that will leave you awestruck.
You have the option to start with the Culture Week, this will ensure that you get the most out of your stay by learning about the local culture and customs. This week is not compulsory but highly recommended.
There are several volunteer projects available and you can build your own schedule from a short term 1 week to 2 weeks program up to 4 weeks and choose which project(s) you want to join and you can also combine different projects!
- Volunteers need to be 18 years or over to participate.
- For the medical project you need to be minimum 18 years
- You need to have your own travel insurance in order to join the program.
- As this is a cross-cultural program it is important to be flexible and open to local customs and traditions.
- Participants must have a clean criminal background check and give it to the coordinator on arrival, click here for details
Accommodation & Melas
There are three meals included from Monday to Friday and two meals during the weekend.
The accommodation is shared based on single gender rooms.
* The project & accommodation details are subject to change according to local circumstances, also the projects are not available on local holidays
Departure day is on Saturday of your last week.
Requirements to Join
- Participants need to be minimum 18 years to join
- Participants need to be in good physical and mental health
- You need to have your own travel insurance
- Participants must have a clean criminal background check, click here for details
volunteer programs in Kenya
Learn about Kenyan culture, try your hand at preparing local dishes, practice Swahili, visit museums and discover wonderful natural surroundings.
Teach English to students in rural Kenya. By doing so, you will not only help them practice the language, but also broaden their horizons.
Teach at a kindergarten in rural Kenya and elp out the local teachers by taking care of the kids, arranging activities and more.
Experience rural Kenya in a unique way: by working on local farms and learning how they practice sustainable farming.
Lend a hand and get working experience by helping out at a rural hospital in Kenya.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find an overview of the frequently asked questions about our programs. If you have a question please feel free to contact us.
Are the program fees subject to change?
When you apply, we will email you your acceptance to the program together with a price quotation. When you confirm your booking paying your deposit within one month from the date you applied then your program fee will remain unchanged, even if the fees might change on the website during this time.
What is the average age of participants?
We have participants of different ages. Most are between 18 and 35 years. But we also have participants who are older (up to 55 years). The programs are suitable for both younger volunteers and older volunteers.
What is the support like overseas?
We believe our support at our destinations is excellent, just check our testimonials and reviews to see what our customers said. We have full-time staff in each destination. It is their job to set up and coordinate your placement, check out your accommodation, meet you at the airport and provide you with any support you need.
Can I also join my friend or family member?
Yes, you can book any of our programs together with one or more people. We will then organize your program together. Just let us know when you sign up and you will each receive a discount of £35/US$45/AU$60/€40.
Can I participate for a short period?
Yes you can participate from one week (from 2 weeks for some programs). You have a choice of different projects where you can gain a fantastic experience.
How well should my English be?
Anyone who can understand and speak reasonable English and express themselves in English can participate in the program. The level of English of the children you will teach is usually low.
Is travel insurance mandatory?
Yes this is mandatory. You are responsible for yourself if something happens to you abroad. That is why you have to take out travel insurance yourself before you leave.
Will I be picked up from the airport?
Yes, you will be picked up from the airport by the local coordinator. Let us know your flight details and we will arrange this for you.
Can I choose what type of project I want to work at?
Yes you can certainly do that. During your registration you can let us know which project (s) you want to join. You work about 4-5 hours a day, from Monday to Friday. At the weekend you are free to travel or to discover the surroundings.
Are your programs suitable for an internship?
yes that is possible for some projects. In the past we have had several participants who have done our program as an internship. Contact us if you have specific requirements for your internship.
Can I combine different countries?
Yes you can combine different countries. That is a great way for a unique experience of different cultures in one journey.
Can I still travel around after the program?
Yes, you can do this, we have several volunteers who travel around after their program has been done or before their program starts.
Will other volunteers be present on the project?
The number of volunteers can vary depending on the period, the country and the project. We can not guarantee the presence of other volunteers on the project.
Do I have to reserve my flight myself?
Yes you book yourself for your flight. Once you book we will let you know the details of your arrival and then you can book your flight. Let us know your flight details and we will arrange your pickup on arrival.
What to do in case of difficulties on the spot?
In the event of difficulties on the spot, you should first contact the person in charge of the project on site to inform that person about your situation. If the problems persist, contact us so that we can help if needed.
When can I register?
The earlier, the better it is to be certain of your place on a project on the dates of your choice. You can still register up to 4 weeks before departure, we will let you know within 24 hours if the program is still available.
prices of the programs in Kenya
Prices in Pounds
1 week : 465 Pounds
2 weeks : 665 Pounds
3 weeks : 865 Pounds
4 weeks : 1065 Pounds
Prices in US$
1 week : 695 US$
2 weeks : 895 US$
3 weeks : 1095 US$
4 weeks : 1295 US$
Prices in Euro
1 week : 495 Euro
2 weeks : 695 Euro
3 weeks : 895 Euro
4 weeks : 1095 Euro
There is an extra cost of £30/US$45/€35 for culture week and the medical project
Not included : flight, insurance, visa, criminal background check, vaccinations, transport back to the airport at end of the program, personal expenses, 4% international banking fee
Why book with GapXperience
How to Book your Program
Participants are encouraged to submit their applications as far in advance as possible as places on the program are limited. You can apply up to 1 month before your start date. Apply today and get ready for one of the most amazing experiences of your life!
Fill out the Application Form. We will process your application and let you know if your application was successful within 24 hours.
Pay your deposit to reserve you place in the program. You can pay the deposit in these currencies: £145, US$175 or €150.
Pay the remaining fees, minus the deposit which you already paid, six weeks before your start date of your program.
Any Questions? Contact Us